My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected soon. If not, visit
http://one2try.net
and update your bookmarks.

National Fig Newton Day

Saturday, January 16, 2010 Posted by Rita A



Today is National Fig Newton Day. Yum. Do you remember the jingle with the Fig Newton singing - The Big Fig Newton Song? From the 70's. I do and I remember most of the words. If you are interested in the history of the Fig Newton: The mass production of the fig roll was created in 1891 by Philadelphia baker and fig lover Charles M. Roser, who in 1892 was created a patent over a machine which inserted fig creme into a cake-like dough: classical fig rolls are more pastry like, creating a chewy experience. Naming his product Newtons after the local town of Newton, Massachusetts, he approached the Cambridgeport, Massachusetts based Kennedy Biscuit Company, who agreed to take on production and sales.

Kennedy Biscuit Company had recently become associated with the New York Biscuit Company, and after merger to form Nabisco, trade marked the product as the clearly name Fig Newton. Information from Wikipedia.

The commercial cookie is a favorite of my family. My dad loves them. I found an ambitious blog with a recipe to make homemade Fig Newtons - The Noshery. Recipe for Fig & Walnuts Newtons. They look delectable. I just might have to give these a try.

Enjoy your day!

0 comments: