My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected soon. If not, visit
http://one2try.net
and update your bookmarks.

I Was Scared!

Monday, March 08, 2010 Posted by Rita A


I have to tell you this story of something that happened to me yesterday. I have been taking extra walks with my dog Pepper for her exercise and mine. Yesterday we started our walk. Now you know Pepper is little, a chihuahua mix. Here we are walking and it starts to rain on us just a little. It did not stop us so we kept walking. Out of nowhere comes this big rottweiler shepherd mix running straight towards us followed by 2 chihuahuas. Three dogs all ganging up on my little Pepper. She is in a panic. I had to reach down in the brood of dogs to pick her up. Now she is growling and in defensive mode. The doofer big dog jumps up on me to get to her in my arms. I was almost knocked down. I am two long blocks away from my home. Here I am trying to get away from the doofer dog. I continue walking, with Pepper in my arms shaking, and I see a man across the street. He saw me in distress and came over to help. He directed the group of dogs over to his yard with a distraction of his own dogs. Then told me to "make a run for it". I took off quickly yelling back thank you. It did not help. The little dogs stayed with his dogs but the big doofer dog came running after me to get to Pepper. I kept walking but stopped running. I thought if I kept going around the block maybe the owner of the dog would see it was out. Or the dog would recognize its home.

To make matters even worse, Pepper did her business early in the walk and being the responsible dog owner I am, I picked it up in the poop bag. Now I am carrying an eleven pound porker who is shaking like a leaf, with a bag of dog present right next to my face. All the while being tackled by a big doofer dog. In my mind I am wondering what am I going to do? I had my phone and was ready to call 911 saying I was getting attacked by a dog. I thought if I could get home I could close the door and the dog would leave. So the whole time I am walking as fast as I can. I sure did not need that much aerobic workout.

So the story ends this way - I am 3 houses from mine, a black pickup truck pulls up next to the curb and a man jumps out yelling " Lula come here Lula" That big monster of a dog is called Lula? Does it mean killer of little dogs? So Lula goes to the owner, lays on her back for her stomach to be scratched. Then she bolts up and runs back to me. Turns out she is pretty friendly. I walked back to her owner so her could grab her to take her home. He said she had just gotten out of the yard a few minutes ago. A few minutes ago, I was walking in fear for the last 30 minutes! Then he asks if I had seen his two chihuahua dogs too? I felt like giving him my dog's "present".

I still do not know what I should have done. We never did get our good walk in. Pepper is hesitant about going out today. I told her to put your big dog attitude on and lets go! Boy I love my dog!

27 comments:

  1. Crystal said...

    I live in a neighborhood in a very rural town and this happens alot. Except there's no owner to come looking for their dog and save you. And I would have had a few words for that owner. Glad you're ok. Get a big stick!

  2. @rsmstahley said...

    That is scary! You were brave picking up your dog, some people may have left your dog for a snack. I am glad that Lula was friendly, or you probably wouldn't have a dog anymore.

    Even if you do call 911 if you are being attacked by a dog, the chances of not being really injured by the time the help comes isn't the greatest!

  3. USCGWifey said...

    Lol, I know it's not funny, but I love the way you told the story! I was into it! :) When I was younger and would ride my bike around the neighborhood, I would take pepper with me (haha, pepper!). My mom told me that if a dog came, to throw it in their face. Now, I don't know if it works. I never had to use it. But, you never know! I used to also see an older man taking his walks with a walking stick. He used it to ward off unwanted doggy attention!

  4. Lluvia said...

    "I still don't know what I should have done"

    Throwing the bag of present at his vehicle sounds about right!

    I hear ya, though...I used to go jogging at this park that's so beautiful, and one time, a big stupid dog began chasing me, and its owner showed up waay later, with a lame excuse! ugghh...!

  5. Life Laugh Latte said...

    Only have had a dog for a few months. STill trying to figure out when it will work with other dogs, and what signals that it will be disasterous. My dog is a chi and thinks he is a shephard. Holly

  6. MyMomfessions said...

    sooo scary...glad u r ok

  7. The Pipster said...

    That is scary! I run outside, and any time I see a dog, any dog, who is not leashed or does not appear to belong to anyone, I panic. I have been bitten twice by dogs while out running. I am happy that Pepper and you, are ok!

  8. Evonne said...

    I would have been freaking out, which probably would have made the whole situation worse. Glad you and Pepper are ok.

  9. My Mercurial Nature said...

    That has got to be one of my biggest pet peeves! Please, keep your dogs fenced in/on leash/under control people! I often walk/run with my little Chi, too...and we've had that same, frightening & maddening experience as well. He deserved that doggy present and then some!

  10. Tylerpants said...

    I have two little dogs too and once a big dog came out of his yard and bit one of my dog's leg, he was limping for days. =/ The owner didn't see it happen & swore the gate was locked. So, now I always carry a stick to scare away any dog that comes near us. Since Pepper's a small dog, you might have to do so as well! Glad you both are ok =)

  11. lfhpueblo said...

    This is exactly why we now have a big Belgium Malinois Trained Guard Dog, because me and my min pin almost became victims of a big dog that bolted at us when we went for a walk.
    My sister says there is suppose to be a dog spray out now that you can use. She says it is not pepper spray, as it doesn't do anything to dogs. She says it is the same stuff the mail personnel use. Maybe that would have helped.

  12. Tracy said...

    I'm pretty afraid of dogs, so your story totally sounded scary to me! I used to have a home daycare & would take the kids for walks. There was one mean dog that was out a few times & I was terrified!!!! Glad the dog was nice & your story ended well - I was nervous there for a second!

  13. Tamara B. said...

    Such a horrible incident and Ibet you were scared! You poor little baby , thank goodness you saved him! Those pet owners need to contacted or maybe call your police to issue them a citation.

  14. Janie B said...

    The same thing happened to me Saturday, only it was a Great Dane instead of a Rott. My fox terrier was scared to death, so I carried her around the block. The Dane didn't follow us though. Why don't people keep their dogs put up?

  15. Emmy said...

    So sorry, I would have been freaked out and so mad too. At least you had one nice neighbor that tried to help. I wonder how often his dogs "just get out"

  16. ~*Katie*~ said...

    I'm glad Pepper is ok..I took my dog camping and he was picked up in a dogs mouth and shook!! I was horrified!!!

  17. Mrs. Lovely said...

    So sorry you had to go through that, I've been there, not fun!

  18. ~J said...

    Oh my gosh! Poor Pepper..poor you! I would have totally freaked! You handled it really well, as I would have probably passed out in fear.

    (On a side note..your description of carrying the poo bag and Lula meaning killer of little dogs totally cracked me up!)

  19. Abstractheart/Crimsonfirestudios said...

    I am glad you and Pepper or okay! I hate when people don't fix their broken fences and gates. Not only is it a danger to everyone else its a danger to their pets too!

  20. Debbie said...

    I would have been terrified! Sounds like you handled well, I would not have run, for fear of aggression on the dogs part...but then again, I may have crapped my pants! Did the guy ever like say sorry Maam for you trouble??

  21. Mrs. Newlywed Giggles said...

    That's crazy!!! Glad no one was hurt. It could be scary when something like that happens! Remember, be calm cool and collective and give off positive energy... As Cesar Milan would say!

  22. Kelly said...

    You handled the matter well Rita. you did not run, scream or yell, you just kept on walking. If you run, the dog will chase you. I had the unpleasant experience as a child, and I panicked. The dog attacked too many people, and was taken away from owners.I might think about carrying some mace or a loud horn to scare the heck out of the dog. Too many people don't chain their pets up, so be on the look out. That story was very interesting to me Rita. It was full of suspense, and had a great ending. I was scared for you.

  23. pixie13 said...

    Sorry this happened to you. Glad you & Pepper came out of it ok. We have run-amok dogs in my neighborhood, too. I can't even walk my dogs anymore because of it, and when they go out in the yard, I have to stand outside & watch to make sure they're not attacked. Some people just shouldn't own pets.

  24. Alicia said...

    Well, I'm glad she ended up being just a friendly dog. I would have freaked out big time if that happened to my Chihuahua!!

  25. Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

    Oh! my! thank goodness you two were not hurt! And like Alicia said...glad Lula turned out to be "uber-friendly"!

    Blessings & Aloha!

  26. Darlene said...

    Scarry times! I'm glad Lula was friendly after all.

  27. The Girl Next Door Grows Up said...

    I would have been scared too!