My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected soon. If not, visit
http://one2try.net
and update your bookmarks.

Today is National Fruit Compote Day!

Monday, March 01, 2010 Posted by Rita A

Today is National Fruit Compote Day. What is a fruit compote you may ask? •compote: dessert of stewed or baked fruit. Pretty simple explanation, complex taste. In searching for the recipes, I found fruit compotes come in many flavor varieties such as winter fruit, summer, tropical, fruit and nut flavors plus many more. Here are a few recipes in honor of National Fruit Compote Day!

Tropical Fruit Compote

3/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 piece lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon rum or vanilla extract (optional)
1 pineapple cored and peeled, cut into 8 slices
2 mangos peeled and pitted, cut into 8 pieces
3 bananas peeled, cut into 8 diagonal pieces
fresh mint leaves (optional)

In a saucepan combine 3/4 cup of water with the sugar, lemon juice, and lemon peel (and rum or vanilla extract if desired). Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and add the fruit. Cook at a very low heat for 5 minutes.
Pour the syrup in a cup. Remove the lemon rind and cool the cooked fruit for 2 hours.
To serve the compote, arrange the fruit in a serving dish and pour a few teaspoons of syrup over the fruit. Garnish with mint leaves.
Serve with Homemade Sour Cream
Yield: 8 servings

Serving size: 1 cup...YUM!

At Foodnetwork I found a real easy fruit compote recipe from Robin Miller.

For more interesting fruit compote recipes - search at Foodgawker. You mouth will be watering.

Enjoy your day!

3 comments:

  1. The Pipster said...

    Hmmm. Fruit compote day. I can't say that I enjoy fruit compote; however, the components of the recipe don't sound all that bad.

  2. Kelly at Home said...

    I never knew what compote was before Alton Brown taught me on the Food Network, LOL! What a neat thing to honor with a day. :o)

    Have a great week!

  3. Jennifer M. said...

    I've never had a Fruit Compote. This sounds very delicious. I can't wait to try it.

    And thank you for the comment! I can't stop laughing. I just hope the Tuesday Troubles are reoccurring!