My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected soon. If not, visit
http://one2try.net
and update your bookmarks.

Today is National Animal Crackers Day!

Sunday, April 18, 2010 Posted by Rita A

Today is National Animal Crackers Day! Did you know the history of animal crackers dates back to late 1800's? The animal shaped biscuits were imported from Europe to the United States. The demand for the animal cookies started the bakers making them domestically. In 1902 the Barnum's Animals circus box theme was introduced. They are still a favorite of kids and adults alike today, made by Nabisco. More than 40 million packages of Barnum's Animal Crackers are sold each year! That's a lot of animals in your soup.



In honor of National Animal Cracker day, I would like to share a few recipes for making your own animal crackers at home. You can use any animal cookie cutters to make these sweet treats.

From 101 Cookbooks - here is a recipe made with whole wheat flour, walnut or almond meal and coconut oil. She says a lot of her giraffe heads broke off.

On All Recipes I found this easy Animal Cracker recipe made with rolled oats, honey and buttermilk.

From Bittersweet Blog - here is an interesting Vegan recipe for animal crackers that has a kick to them. The kicker ingredient is curry!

As for me, I am grabbing a box of the famous Barnum Animal Crackers and trying not to sing the song with each animal nibble.

Enjoy your day!



Enjoy this post? Subscribe to email updates from
"One 2 Try". There is so much going on, don't miss anything!!

4 comments:

  1. Kelly L said...

    I love my animal crackers... Good memories as a kid and my kids have good memories... I loved Shirley growing up...

    Love to you
    Kelly
    http://www.ivebecomemymother.com

  2. Robyn Jones said...

    I LOVE animal crackers...I don't know why, but I haven't ever bought them for my kids? What's up with that...I better get on the arc! I have an award for you on my blog..just give me maybe half an hour...

  3. RawknRobynsGoneBlogWild said...

    I love the movie and the real thing. They both bring on the cheers.
    Have a good one, Rita.
    Robyn

  4. Jeannette said...

    Mmmm I so have a huge box of those that I completely forgot about! Good thing they take like 10 years to go bad!