My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected soon. If not, visit
http://one2try.net
and update your bookmarks.

Random Recipes - Oatmeal Cookies

Monday, May 10, 2010 Posted by Rita A


Today's Random Recipe comes from a booklet called Recipes from the Raleigh Tavern Bake Shop - Williamsburg, Virginia dated 1984.

It is interesting because it lists a recipe dated London 1789 as Oat-Meal Cakes before the modern Oatmeal cookie recipe.

Here is Oat-Meal Cakes:
Take a peck of fine flour, half a peck of oatmeal, and mix it well together, put it to seven eggs well beat, three quarts of new milk, a little warm water, a pint of sack and a pint of new yeast; mix all these well together, and let it stand to rise; then bake them. Butter the scone every time you lie on the cakes, and make them rather thicker than a pan-cake. Elizabeth Moxon English Housewifery (London, 1789)

Okay so what measurement is a peck and what is sack?



Enjoy your day!



Enjoy this post? Subscribe to email updates from
"One 2 Try". There is so much going on, don't miss anything!!

6 comments:

  1. kcmom2four said...

    I just love to read old recipes. Thanks for sharing.

  2. sharonjo said...

    1789?!! That's going waaaay back--interesting. And I have no idea what a peck or a sack measurement would be, although I do remember a song lyric (?) "I love you a bushel and a peck..." Must be quite a bit!!

  3. Peggy said...

    Loved being #4 on the FF list! What fun!!
    Enjoyed the Random Recipe--interesting:)

  4. ♥Georgie♥ said...

    OOOOhhhh I love old recipes too...can not wait to try this one

  5. rose said...

    I love Big,Fat Oatmeal cookies with alot of rasins. Can you mail some to me in GA?

  6. Becca said...

    Too funny! I just know that one song "I love you...a bushel and a peck." I love oatmeal cookies! :)